What it does
- Adds a “Sleep” button to the part menu of deployable antennas, whenever the antenna is open.
- Pressing the button causes the antenna to retract… but it will then automatically re-extend a few minutes later, even if you have no control due to lack of communications.
- Default sleep time is 5 minutes. A slider on the antenna’s menu lets you adjust how long it will sleep, in half-minute increments.
- The antenna's menu displays a countdown timer while sleeping.
Why would anyone want this?
If you’re playing KSP with the CommNet difficulty set to “Require communications for control”, this means that you completely lose control of your probe if it doesn’t have a communications link back to a control source such as KSC.
This can make things tricky if you’ve got a ship that needs to do aerobraking or atmospheric reentry somewhere far from Kerbin, if the antenna you use to control it is a deployable one. If you don’t retract it, it will get destroyed by hypersonic winds. If you do retract it, it’s safe… but now your probe is an inert doorstop.
This mod is intended to give you some interesting options for designing your probe. You can put your antenna to sleep before hitting atmosphere, and it will wake up again later on to (hopefully) re-establish control.
How to install
Unzip into your GameData folder, same as any mod. (Includes ModuleManager.)
How to use
- Use the slider on the menu to control how long the antenna will sleep. You can do this in the vehicle editor or in flight.
- While in flight, press the “Sleep” button for an extended antenna to cause it to retract and stay retracted for the specified duration.
Version 1.0.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.7.3
Released on 2018-03-16
- Update to ModuleManager 3.0.6 for KSP 1.4.1 compatibility
Version 1.0.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1
Released on 2017-05-28
- Update to ModuleManager 2.8.0 for KSP 1.3 compatibility
- Update to target .NET 3.5, as a KSP mod is supposed to (it was targeting 4.5.2 before)
Version 1.0.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2
Released on 2016-12-08
- Fix a bug that spams NullReferenceException if ModuleDeployableSleep is ever added to a part that doesn't have a ModuleDeployablePart on it. (Doesn't affect this mod when simply installed as-is, but could cause problems for mods that add compatibility patches.)
- Update to ModuleManager 2.7.5.
Version 1.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2
Released on 2016-10-12
- Initial release for KSP 1.2.
Stats for AntennaSleep
Downloads over time
New followers per day