KIS introduces new gameplay mechanics by adding a brand new inventory system and EVA usables items as tools. You want to build a rover on Duna from scratch? Or you've forgot to attach a solar panel to the planetary station? With KIS it's not a problem!
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS)
The mod offers container parts of various size to deliver spare parts to the orbit or at the construction site.
- Tiny containers for light-weight rockets.
- Big containers for serious projects.
- Mk3 containers for really big constructions ideas!
Kerbals now have own backpack to hold small items, and some of them can be equipped on the model. AR goggles? Fancy hat? Or, maybe, a completely new helmet?! It's all possible now!
With special tools (provided by the mod) kerbals now can modifying teh existing vessels by adding or removing parts. It's even possible to build a whole new vessel from scratch!
* Goggles, hats and helmets are provided by the third-party mods. E.g. "Kerbal Props".
You can support this and the other of my mods on Patreon. This is where I post my ideas, prototypes and the features development progress.
Other useful mods for EVA
If you want doing EVA comfortably, you really should consider adding these mods as well:
How to install
- Install and run CKAN.
- Search for "Kerbal Inventory System" or just "KIS", then install the mod.
- Occasionally run CKAN client to update KIS (and other mods) to the latest version.
- If you follow this path, then all the KIS dependencies will be updated automatically. It may save you a lot of time during the update.
- Download the ZIP archive:
- If you have an older version of the mod in your game, you must delete all the old files first! Do not just copy over, this will likely result in compatibility issues.
- Unzip the release archive into the game's
- Note, that names of the folders must be exactly like in the archive or the mod won't work.
- The release archive contains the minimum versions of the required dependencies:
CommunityCatgeoryKit. If your game has better versions, do not overwrite!
- Verify the installation: the mod's
LICENSE.md file must be located at
- If you don't want seeing the fun parts in your game, you can remove them:
- Find file
remove_fun_part_patch.txt in the mod's folder.
- Rename it into
- Move it one level up in the directory structure (into the
- Now the fun parts won't show up even if you update the mod.
Ask questions and propose suggestions on
Version 1.22 for Kerbal Space Program 1.7.1
Released on 2019-05-31
1.22 (May 30th, 2019):
- [Change] "Breaking ground" DLC support.
- [Change] Don't allow
KIS to deploy or move the ground experiments.
- [Change] Allow the small cargo to be carried by kerbal.
- [Change] Disable the default remove helmet hotkey
J as it conflicts with "Breaking ground" DLC.
- [Enhancement] Add medium portable cargo to carry 6 experiments.
- [Fix #333] Robotics part trigger physics when making a hover model.
- [Fix #334] Action icons are blurred.
Version 1.21 for Kerbal Space Program 1.7.0
Released on 2019-05-18
1.21 (May 16th, 2019):
- [Fix #89] Portable containers revert to previous content when dropped.
- [Fix #328] KIS fails on every new DLC or major patch that changes kerbal models.
- [Fix #330] KIS containers mass and volume physically realistic. Read the issue description for details!
Version 1.20 for Kerbal Space Program 1.7.0
Released on 2019-05-04
1.20 (May 3rd, 2019)):
- [Fix #326] Text formatting in PAW menu.
1.19 (May 2nd, 2019):
KSP 1.7.* compatibility.
- [Change] Update ES-ES localization.
- [Change] Make
CB-1 volume physical (no override) and allow carrying it on the kerbal's back.
- [Fix #305] Allow grab hints menu to be turned off in KIS
- [Fix #311] Container item launchID incorrect at vessel launch.
- [Fix #313] Contained item's dry-mass is incorrect in tooltip.
- [Fix #314] KIS.Container1 cannot be selected as root part.
- [Fix #315] When the target is too far, KIS says "too heavy".
- [Fix #317] Stock Parts not stacking in 1.6.1 with no other mods.
- [Fix #319] Restock part volumes is wrong when a skinned mesh is used.
- [Fix #320] Some parts refuse to get detached.
- [Fix #321] KIS Inventory and inflatable parts.
- [Fix #323] EVA fuel canister has infinite reserve.
- [Fix #324] Statically attachable parts don't attach.
Version 1.18 for Kerbal Space Program 1.6.1
Released on 2019-02-02
1.18 (February 2nd, 2019):
- [Change] Add an optional (yet) patch file to make the legacy KIS containers physics complient. See file
- [Enhancement] Add French localization.
- [Enhancement] Improve English part descriptions.
- [Enhancement] Add IWC-4500 "Wyvern" part.
- [Fix #297] IMC-15K has wrong part volume.
- [Fix #301] "volumeOverride" is not working.
- [Fix #302] Structurel panel has wrong nodes.
- [Fix #303] Game's crashing on the new parts.
Version 1.17 for Kerbal Space Program 1.6.1
Released on 2019-01-29
1.17 (January 28th, 2019):
- KSP 1.6 support. This mod's version is not compatible with the prior versions of KSP!
- [Enhancement] Add fun English part descriptions.
- [Enhancement] Add Portuguese (Brazil) localization.
- [Enhancement] Improve items&parts debug ability. See
itemDebug in the settings file.
- [Enhancement] Add new containers:
- [Enhancement] Big improvement in performance. Many inventories with items in one scene could slow down the game significantly (see #287 & #288).
- [Enhancement #281] Use the stock functionality from the KIS code and properly support custom helmets.
- [Enhancement #289] Take into account the container size when detecting its availability.
- [Fix #160] Cannot deatch broken solar panel.
- [Fix #163] Implement full support of TweakScale mod.
- [Fix #267] Review container mount mass.
- [Fix #273] Support part's variant when dealing with KIS container items.
- [Fix #293] Fun parts in are not equipping.
Version 1.16 for Kerbal Space Program 1.5.1
Released on 2018-10-30
1.16 (October 29th, 2018):
- [Fix #275] No preview meshes shown.
Version 1.15 for Kerbal Space Program 1.5.1
Released on 2018-10-27
1.15 (October 27th, 2018):
- [Change] KSP 1.5.* compatibility.
- [Fix #268] Wrong size detection on the MH expansion parts. READ #273!!!
- [Fix #269] Equip items and remove helmet actions don't work.
- [Fix #270] Command seats must not be allowed to have inventory.
- [Fix #271] In some languages the CCK tags are broken.
Version KIS_v1.14 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5
Released on 2018-07-19
1.14 (July 18th, 2018):
- [Change] Migrate to KSPDev Utils 0.37.0. A stability fix.
Stats for Kerbal Inventory System (KIS)
Downloads over time
New followers per day