If stock KSP's aerodynamics leave out too many aerodynamic features, have too many game-like aspects, or just seem too easy, this is the mod for you.
- Shape-Based, Vessel-Centered, Aerodynamics - Long, thin shapes drag less than wide, flat shapes, and smooth changes in body width reduce drag. The shape of the vessel as a whole, not individual parts, controls drag, so shape the vessel as you see fit.
- Emergent Fairings and Cargo Bays - The voxel model method FAR uses allows for the actual shape of the vehicle to play a role in how lift and drag are applied. Build a hollow shell, and close it up, and everything inside it will be protected from the airflow as it should.
- Wing Effects - Realistically adjusts lift based on wing position and configuration: wingtips lift less and drag more than wing roots.
- Stall - Passing the critical angle of attack suddenly reduces lift and greatly increases drag. Can put planes into tailspins, flat spins, and cause crashes.
- Mach Effects and Area Ruling - Lift and drag will vary as expected with Mach number. Supersonic planes will need to properly area rule themselves for optimum flight characteristics.
- Body lift - All parts lift: a fast enough brick will fly, if not that well.
- Aerodynamic Failures - Going sideways at high speeds will rip rockets apart, pulling up too hard in a dive will rip plane's wings off.
- Advanced Editor Tools and Flight Info - For helping to analyze your planes and figuring out how they'll behave before you fly them and what's happening as you fly them; intended for advanced players, not necessary if you're starting out.
Scott Manley Videos:
Playing around with aerodynamic failures:
Trying stuff with the editor tools:
Stats for Ferram Aerospace Research
Downloads over time
Downloads per version
New followers per day